Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weird to say, but it's done!

Welp, however many weeks/months (4ish) later, it's done. Not in the water yet, but that will be this week once there's some waves again. I finished up sanding today. Since I sanded the hotcoat, and I'm not doing a gloss coat, it's flat looking, not shiny, but I'm psyched on that. My hotcoat wasn't the best, along with just tiny dimples here and there, so once I sanded it, some super small little shiny spots (low spots) remain, which the sandpaper didn't get to. There's a lot of small ones, mostly on the deck. Too many to sand, and the only option to get rid of them is to put on another thin hot coat, but I don't want to add more weight to the board, and the shiny spots are only an aesthetic thing, so whatever. Most will be covered with surf wax anyways. I'm no professional, and these bumps/shiny spots are proof! :) It does look good though I think! Got the fins done today too, and have them angled/canted right at a 3 degree angle, so I'm pumped they are in so well. The ones that I finished are on the small side, but I have two other sets I'm working on, so they will be other options, along with others down the line.


Top side, done!

Bottom side, fins in place!


Closer of fins



With the light right, you can see all the spots I'm talking about. Oh well. Learning...


I don't have a scale to weight the board, but at least for reference to my foam fish board, I figured I could at least see how much heavier it is than that board. So I whipped out some old physics and actually applied it, cool! In a nerd way. I wrapped the leashes around the ends of a board and put the board hanging over a pivot point. I scooted the board some until the boards hung there balanced. Since a moment is equal to force (weight) times distance to pivot point (M=Fd), I can at least see a multiplier of how much heavier the wooden board is than the fish. The distance from the pivot point to the fish board center of gravity was 26.5 inches. The distance from the pivot point to the wooden board is 21.5 inches. So the wooden board is 1.23 times the weight of the fish. The fish is 5'8" and 22.75 inches wide. The wooden board is 5'2" and 22 inches wide, so it puts it into perspective that the wooden board is heavier, but not too too much. This is just a fact of wooden boards though; expected it.

Pretty proud, hope it surfs well!

Went and got a burrito from Secret Spot to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment