Monday, April 2, 2012

Growing

Things are coming along quite nicely. The home garden is thriving, with the artichoke and brussel sprout growing on a daily basis. These plants are going to be monsters. The cutworms are after the brussel sprout, but I pick them off before any real damage is done. Matt doesn't like that I do it, but squishing those little devils feels kind of good....


I had a surprise zucchini sprout come up so I went and bought it a few friends. So by summer I should be begging people to take them off my hands.


The sugar snap peas finally sprouted, so our window will be cover with a pretty green vine soon enough.


The herbs are all doing well, but that's pretty standard. Herbs are so easy, everyone should give a go. There no point in buying a bunch of fresh herbs at the store when you can grow an endless supply at home for the same price or less.

Now, the community garden plot is finally starting to shape up. The ground was super hard The talented Matt Zwiesler made a beautiful trellis and now its on me to make stuff grow to put it to good use. Some plot neighbors gave me a couple green bean seedling, because they had more than they needed. I also planted sugar snap peas next to the beans.

The first seeds to go in were cabbage, leek, carrots, onion, swiss chard, and lettuce. A couple days ago I was getting discourage because there was no green appearing on that mound of dirt. I was ready to cave and purchase some topsoil and try again, but most have sprouted at last!
I'm still waiting on the onion and leek, but some of the seeds are old and I think they take longer anyways.


I couldn't be any happier with the garden plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment