Monday, April 16, 2012

Glassed the top of the board!

First I taped off the bottom fo the board where the lap of the top layer of cloth will end.

My tape line was a little off I could tell, as far as consistency from the rail line, so I used this tool I made and drew a pencil line all around the board, on the tape line. I just walk around the board with this tool, and it draws a pencil line the same distance from the rail line all the way around. Then I used a razor and cut the tape on the pencil line, and voila, the tapeline is good to go.

Then I cover the rest of the board, so resin and cloth can't touch it. I did this to the top of the board when I glassed the bottom also.


I didn't trust that I only need to put one layer of cloth on the top (most hollow wooden surfboards can do so), so I put a deck patch covering where I'll usually be standing/paddling, to help out.


Another view of the deck patch

All done!

The tinted blue came out the same as on the bottom. I imagined a solid tint, not streaky like this. It looks like I colored it with a crayon, but I kinda like it too. I went out of the lines on the top border of this, but oh well. Psyched!

So I ended up using a layer of 4 oz S cloth, and a deck patch of 4 oz S cloth. The board, again is, 5'1" x 22" (at wide point) x 3" thick (at wide point), so roughly 1020 in² or 7.1 ft² on the bottom surface.
The resin amounts are: clear epoxy resin- 16 oz of mixed epoxy resin
blue epoxy resin - 4 oz mixed epoxy resin

No comments:

Post a Comment