Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Garden Happenings



 Last week I went and got free compost. Los Angeles Country has a free mulch program with a few different locations and luckily the closest to me is in San Pedro. Even though it referred to as mulch it's so well broken down it can be used as compost. I cover the back of my SUV with a tarp and filled it up as much a possible. I love that there so many great resources out there to garden inexpensively. I will not be buying more dirt from now on. My garden looks much better and hopefully the plants will be much happier.

 This whole gardening thing is a learning experience and I have to keep reminding myself that it won't be perfect. On that note, the carrot, leek, and onion seeds all failed to sprout and only half of the chard and cabbage came up. Oh well, I planted some corn, green beans, and radish seeds and transplanted two tomatoes, three peppers and some marigolds. I wanted to do everything by seed, but I'm impatient and wanted to look a little more lively already. The corn has already began to sprout and a few radishes have been spotted!


While I can't get certain seeds to sprouts, I've been having a plethora of volunteer plants taking over. I add compost from home and with that came the seeds of rotting vegetables. So far it's been tomatoes and squash, but I couldn't tell you which kind of squash it is because they all look the same. I didn't want those plants taking over so I have placed them in pots and transported them home. One tomatoes got planted and a few of the squash. The rest might get thrown on Craigslist free once they're bigger.

I apparently have a garden companion these days. I first spotted this lizard a few weeks ago and kindly removed him/her from the garden to the side of the house. Well he/she has been spotted a few more times, everything time it's bigger too. I don't have a problem with lizards but this one startles me every time. I'm trying to be cool with it, but I don't want to be friends. It might get thrown on Craigslist free too...

1 comment: