Thursday, May 3, 2012

Flowers doing their part



When I first started gardening I could have care less about flowers but I'm beginning to realize that they are an integral part of a healthy garden.  The flowers attract birds and insects and help create a healthy ecosystem. I have seen a few hummingbird hanging around and I figured that instead of purchasing a hummingbird feeder and filling it with colored sugar water, I'd plant some flowers that would be to their liking. Real food for all! Also I could use the help from the bees with pollination, especially since my zucchini has already started producing flowers of both sexes!! The female flower has a thick stem, while the male's is thin and dainty. Last year I only got female flowers so I'm happy to see both.
Today I got more compost for the plot and home. I can't help but feel much cooler when I'm carrying compost in the back of my car. Mostly because because it means I'm about to do some gardening! 

The garden at home is a monster! It's a battle to death between the brussel sprout, zucchini, and artichoke. My money is on the artichoke, that thing grow on a daily basis. I feel bad for the strawberries which are being crushed by the brussel sprout, but I figure if they make it through this they be unstoppable in the future. The sugar snap peas just can't seem to figure out the trellis. They keep getting bigger but instead of using the trellis right next to them they just rather get tangle up with their neighbors. I keep trying to coax them to climb but they just don't get it.

As for that the lizard previously mentioned, I need to be happy he/she thinks my garden is a suitable home. I've come to figure out that it's an Alligator lizard which feeds on insects. Hopefully it has a preference of pests over the beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment