Saturday, May 19, 2012

Humita Empanadas

I other day I was looking for humita recipes online, and come across this awesome recipe for humita empanadas. My two favorite Chilean foods in one. Genius! For those who don't know, an empanadas is a South and Central American pastry with various filling depending on the country. An humita is a Native South American dish consisting of fresh corn mixed with onion, and spices wrap in a corn husks and them steamed. It is similar to a tamale, but I think tamale are made with corn meal instead of fresh corn. Not sure on that one.  I didn't use green onion as the recipe call for but opted to use a sweet onion instead, making it more traditionally in a Chilean humita filling. They turned out great, though a side of pebre would go quite nicely with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment