Saturday, January 26, 2013

Recent projects

Been working on some stuff, and some stuff's been changing around here, for the better... for the much better :)

 My friend ben made me this sweet sign for the garage. This is hanging on the inside of the door now, waiting to get covered in sawdust and foam dust. I'm super pumped on this thing!

 After picking up another windsurf board from a guy around the corner (for 10 bucks), and after Ben and Cameron both brought over foam blanks to shape, the garage is once again full of soon-to-be-surfboards

 I just wrapped up this night table. Used some wood I found somewhere, not sure where, but had enough of the same two pieces to make this thing. I made it kinda "farmhouse" style, with thick pieces, a rough look, and solid construction (i think). Here it is coming together, while enjoying some tea.I tried to do some new joinery (for me) here, as you can see the legs and bottom piece all join together more than just a "butt" joint. I think it came out nicely and more solid than my usual...

Getting clamped!


And boom!, skipped a few steps in pictures, but glued on the top with some biscuit joints, then stained it with a dark walnut stain, and then put a few coats of urethane finish on it. I had spar urethane leftover from other projects (handplanes) - this didn't need to be waterproof, but oh well, I didn't want to buy more finish, and have the urethane go dry over time anyways. So now, we can spill all the tea we want on this thing!




Top left view, showing the cracks and little warped-ness of the top and bottom. I like it.


Psyched on this little guy



In place


I made a hanging pot holder/shelf also, to give us a little more cabinet space. I found a couple pieces of this red oak (i think) a long time ago in an alley,  and have now had enough to do several kitchen shelf projects, which looks good to have the same wood all next to each other I think. (as seen to the left of this shelf)

 Long screws into studs to hold these pots up!

Finished this frame last week also. The print is a Joe Hodnicki print - check his stuff out at sharingthestoke.com - super awesome stuff! so hard not to buy more of his stuff, but this is the second one we have already. Got Mike a sweet "dawn patrol" one for his birthday too. 

 Other print in the background. 



Mel wanted another shelf for school stuff, and since I have school books also, I made this to help keep us somewhat organized. I kinda threw this thing together - the construction of it isn't that great to be honest, and the wood is just pine pieces all glued together from an old desk, but I still like the design of it and how it came out!

That's it for now! 











No comments:

Post a Comment