Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Whewwwww making progress!



Rails are done being built up! worked on them this weekend, sanding them smooth and cleaning them up

I then needed to fair the top few strips to basically blend into the curve of the rib, so that they are eventually flush to the rib where they meet. This way the top planks that are glued onto the top of the board will then be sanded/blended into the rails. See below link with photo (to an old post) for a cross section as I'm sure that didn't make sense
http://afedbearisadeadbear.blogspot.com/2012/02/chine-strips-glued-into-place.html
Close up of top rail strips faired into the ribs


View from above as the board is coming together



I flipped it over and planed away the excess and rounded out the rails on the underside too! Using a handplane has become one of the most gratifying feelings ever.


This morning I glued on the middle top plank! Closing it up!


Got a table saw this weekend from my landlord too! Thanks Janet! Here are the wood shavings from using it and splitting all the boards I'm using as the top planks. Having this table saw cut out alot of time and errors I was making using a powersaw


Pre-bending the wood to be used for the top planks to help it glue into place easily

No comments:

Post a Comment