Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Garden: July update

When I started gardening I didn't want to waste any space on flowers, I only cared about what I could eat. Since the spider mites, my first real pest problem, I've decided to add flowers that attract beneficial insects. A well rounded garden will lead to a healthy garden.




Growing alyssum and buckwheat. Alyssum has the pretty white flowers and smells quite pleasant too. It is drought tolerant and attracts lacewings, which destroy aphids. The buckwheat is a "green manure", which improves the soil and its flower attracts bees!
Lavender to attract bees and it's drought tolerant.


Set up some protection from those critters.

Lots of cherry tomatoes!
Old Germans getting sun.
Picked them early to save them from critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment