Saturday, June 22, 2013

Start of Summer Garden


My garden is a late bloomer, but at last I'm starting to see some movement. The first lima beans I planted at home never sprouted but the second has been successful with three plants poking their true leaves out of the ground. My dad mailed my some giant blue corn but most didn't sprout (probably due to my inconsistent watering) and the ones that did refuse to stand straight up. I put a few more but have seen no sign of them, yet. 


Lima bean on the 1st day of summer

Flimsy corn

At the community garden things are also moving pretty slow. I keep growing radishes, even though I don't like them. They are just too easy to grow to not do it. My first attempt to grow edamame failed but they finally sprout at the second attempt. I thought the kohlrabi wouldn't grow well in summer but they are looking mighty fine and I will be harvesting them this week. I have two tomato plants at the garden and one at home and neither have grown much. Most of tomato plants at the garden are big and lush, which has left me with envy. I don't know why my plants aren't thriving. I added compost last week so hopefully that gives them a boost. Despite some failure a few things are going well and that keeps me motivated. The eggplant is doing well, and as expected the kale and chard are unstoppable.
Radishes

Edamame 


Kohlrabi

Tomato starting to blush!

oh wait, it's rotten....


Eggplant. Blurry, dark photo but proof of some success.


Zaferia Community Garden is in full bloom
 These two pictures below are of a plot near mine. It belongs to Jim, a dedicated gardener and also the nicest guy at the garden. Jim recently retired and has put a lot of love, time and effort into his garden and it really shows. He's been kind enough to share his crops and is always a pleasure to see at the garden. I wanted to share these photos because walking by this beautiful garden puts a smile on my face and inspires me.

Jim's amazing garden

It's a jungle!


No comments:

Post a Comment