Saturday, May 18, 2013

New Surfboard and Bowl

I finished this natural-edge bowl I've been working on - pretty pumped on how it turned out! This is olive wood, and it smells super strong like green olives when working with it, almost annoyingly strong...This was a bit hard to work with and took quite a bit longer to turn as it's pretty hard wood, and it was pretty wet. It's been drying out in the fridge for a couple weeks now and I think it's good now.



I like it

Also, just yesterday, I finished my second wood board. I didn't write about this much on here, as I was just a bit busy/lazy to take the time to.here's some pics. I made this using the same construction method/process as the first one, but paid a bit more attention to wood patterns, glueing, and a couple other things.

 outside, bottom and rails finished, fin box supports in, and blending rails into the frames, about to install the top planks

closer

view of bottom planks. I paid a bit more attention to the grain patterns, and laid out various sequences of the planks before gluing them on. I match-booked, or mirrored planks by resawing/splicing the wood down the middle of it's thickness, and basically opening it up like a book then.The middle plank is not mirrored, but one piece is on the bottom of the board, and the other half of that board is on the top of the board, in the middle. The next two planks are from the same piece of wood. Then the next two planks are from the same piece of wood. I'm not explaining this well. Hopefully the pictures show it better.


 Skip a few steps, lots of sanding, fixing mistakes, glassing, sanding, hot coating, sanding, and hot coating, and voila, it's done! Top view. Middle strip is on both the bottom and top. Then match-booked boards on top also
 Bottom view. fin boxes ready for single, twin, or single plus side bite set up





 side profile view


 Close up of woodburnt decal on top of board. Similar to my last one, which was only the cross section of the wood, but this one with some water in it. As with all my boards, Mel was the art advice on this one and I like how it turned out!

 Signed, dated, and dimensioned



2 comments:

  1. bowl and board are both equally radical! ...although you might have more fun with the board.
    also that burnt design is amazing.

    ReplyDelete