Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Garden Time

Matt thinks I write too much and that people only want to see photos. I agree with him completely, but I refuse to change my ways.

The winter season has been far more successful than summer, though I did experience some failing. I am extremely fortunate that I live in a place where I can garden year round, because I might loss it otherwise. So here are some updates:

Lettuce Mix
Lettuce is really easy to grow from seed and has been doing really well this year. I buy the mix "Farmer's Market" mix which include a delicious variety of lettuce. I am no lettuce connoisseur but but I find this mix to be delightful. Also a perk is that you can just cut what you need and it grow back. 

Sugar Snap Peas
Peas are fairly easy to grow from seed, though I did have some trouble getting them to sprout. Thankfully rain help me out with that process. The other problem I encounter was their inability to climb. Matt's made very nice trellis at the community garden but the peas refused to climb and preferred to just clump up in a tangled mess. The other day though a fellow garden was walking by my plot and asked how everything was growing. I shared my frustration with the peas and she in turn suggested to string wired or twine in between the trellis so that the peas could actually grasp. Genius! Matt and I added wire to the trellis and now the peas are reaching for the sky! 

Kale
I currently have two types of kale growing, Lacinato and Russian Red. The Lacinato was from seed and had a slow start but now it substantially bigger with every visit. The Russian Red was a transplant and after a couple stationary weeks seems to be growing. This is my first time growing kale and I am looking forward to harvesting it.

Red Cabbage
These guys are big and slow growing. I noticed the other day that they start forming and when I took a closer look I discovered that they were cover in aphids. I panicked and started spraying them off with the hose. I even peeled the smaller leaves back to get rid these nasty pest. I check them today and I didn't see any on the plants but if they return I may have to use a soapy spray. Though the soapy spray is still an organic method to the pest problem I don't like doing it, but I've been waiting for so long for the cabbage to grow. I would hate for my patience to not be rewarded.

Fava Beans
Fava beans are another plant that I have never grow. They take a while to sprout up but once they did they flourished. The flowers have bloomed and I just discovered the beans are forming. I have actually never eaten a fava bean but am looking forward to trying my first in a few days time.

I grew a few other thing such as spinach, chard, radishes, and romaine lettuce. The radishes grow quickly and with no trouble, now I wish I just liked to eat them more. I've never had luck with spinach, this year was no exception. The chard is growing rather well, but what else would you expect from chard. Lastly, the romaine is doing really well and am enjoying eating it.





Now with Spring upon us it's time to start planning and working on my summer garden. I love the changing seasons and the feeling of newness.





No comments:

Post a Comment