Thursday, November 15, 2012

NEEEEWWWWW BOARD!

Started working on this guy a couple of weeks ago when I scored a "second quality" longboard blank from Foam EZ. I basically wanted to make this one because Im not overly psyched on the longboard I made a few months ago: http://afedbearisadeadbear.blogspot.com/2012/08/new-longboard-done.html
The previous board just feels very stiff in that it's slow to turn and like to keep a straight line. I think this is mostly because I left the rails too thick, so they basically resist sinking down into turns a little more, and for a guy like me, lightweight, I would like some easier turns. the nose and tail on that board were too thick also, looking back at it....The board basically feels like riding a skateboard with tight trucks, and not that I hate this board, but I hate tight trucks. 
Regardless, this new one has a similar outline, but much thinner rails, somewhat bladed, throughout the whole thing. I made the concave under the nose a bit longer, just for aesthetics really though, made the nose and tail much thinner, and almost have a step deck effect. Without the fiberglass on it, the nose felt really flexy. Almost too flexy, and I got scared this would potentially fracture. maybe I'm wrong, but I ffigured I want this to last, so I ended up glassing it with two layers of 6 oz cloth on the bottom, whereas on the last longboard, I only used one layer of 6 oz. We will see how that feels! I also glassed in a tail patch for strength for the finbox. anyways, here's some pictures. 



 Sanding and getting close to being done with the sanding. Can't tell the outline very well from the angles I can get in the garage, but taking it through that door in and out seems like a good way to ding a foam core...

 Final sand, very rounded and almost hull-like bottom, with up rails big time in the back end. This will help the water suction up around the rail and suck the tail down when you're towards the front end of the board.

 Glassed the bottom last night! my tape wouldn't stick to the top of the board (side not shown here) when taping it off last night, and I got pretty frustrated with it. not sure if there was too much humidity or what, but after three tries to tape off the board, I gave up. so this was done by free lapping it, which is a bit messier looking, but you won't be able to tell in the red or grey, just the clearish area in back. Regardless, I'm super pumped on how this looks!

Looks like I bumped my head and bled everywhere


 And I also modeled this board in Solidworks, and tested out the colors I like on it. Here's a couple pics! Psyched on how this came out and that I can do this in Solidworks now! This is the side view obviously

 Top view

And some perspective

No comments:

Post a Comment