Friday, January 21, 2011

New Year, New Garden

New compost

That's a baby cauliflower you're looking at.


This guy is still going strong! After lots of rain, this Siberian Red got knocked over so I pruned it extensively and seems to be responding well. Who knew you got have tomatoes in January?

Herbs haves a new home! Hopefully this will work out better than the terracotta pots, which dried out too quickly.


It's a new year and I have new plans for the garden. I learned a lot from last year's garden and will be far more successful in 2011. I now know varieties of tomatoes works best and what plants I won't be planting again (green peppers). This past week the garden got new dirt, compost, and some steer manure. Matt built a new compost which should significantly speed up the composting process. I planted two new crops, broccoli and cauliflower, and hope the current warm weather doesn't affect them negatively. The broccoli seems to be bummed on the heat so it now has a cover to cool down and the cauliflower is unfazed. Also I purchase a small greenhouse from Harbor Freight and will be starting some seeds soon. Feels good to have my hands in dirt again!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment