Monday, November 8, 2010

Finishing fins!

then glass the frontsides, notice how they got a bit darker
edges cleaned up, lookin sharp
dried cloth and resin
ate ice cream after doing hte backside. this was fun!
glassed the backsides first
ready for glassing. cloth cut and resin ready to mix!

finished raw fins. pumped!

Worked a lot on Saturday on the fins. Bought new plywood as the other stuff I bought turned out to just be not good. Too many knots and gaps in it to look as nice as I wanted. Got sanded plywood this time-no visible knots and I only came across one tiny one as I was sanding the layers down. After lots of sanding, and finishing, and touching up, and finishing, I got down to how I wanted. Then I put one layer of 4 oz cloth on each side and glassed them that night and the following morning. It was a pretty awesome feeling seeing the glass on them-this is the first thing I’ve glassed really, other than a repair on another board, and this looked way better. It darkened up the wood a bit too which is awesome I though. I hope they work! Now Im just gonna hotcoat each side of them to smooth them out. Then after I glass the board, I’ll glass them on with another layer of 4 oz fiberglass cloth over them. Bought all the glassing materials today too! Psyched! (spent a little more than I was thinking so far, but oh well, this has been awesome so far)

No comments:

Post a Comment